How to Remove Fake Followers on InstagramLast Updated: August 09, 2018
High followers number is not enough. Engagement rate is also valuable. Learn how to remove bots or ghost followers and boost ER.
A ghost follower is an Instagram account that follows you but never actively engages with you (i.e. never likes or comments on any of your Instagram content).
For serious marketers, social media and content marketing professionals, high follower numbers alone are not enough. Other metrics take center stage – such as engagement or engagement rate. In these cases, ghost followers are a major hindrance to success.
You can start identifying ghost followers by looking for users who have the following:
- 0 followers
- 0 posts
- No profile picture
- High ratio of people they follow to followers
- 0 posts in the last 30 days
- 0 posts in the last 60 days
- Username filled with random numbers
If you want to remove someone from following you, block them. You can then unblock them if you want them to be able to follow you again in the future.
- Open Instagram
- Tap on your Profile button (bottom right)
- Tap the Followers count at the top of your profile (these are the accounts following you)
- Find the follower you want to drop and tap their icon
- Tap the arrow at the top right of the screen to open the options
- Tap “Block User” then verify, “Yes, I am sure”
- Dismiss the confirmation
- Optionally unblock the user (this won’t cause them to follow you again, but leaves the option open)
- Repeat for the next user
If you have a small follower count, you should be able to do this manually by going through all your Instagram followers one at a time.
If you have a large follower count, here is a tool that might help: Cleaner for IG. Perfect tool to unfollow, block ghost or inactive followers, mass delete posts and unlike previously liked photos or videos.